Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Round One - Day One

Well, now I know what chemo feels like... it wasn't much of anything. I was anticipating it burning as it pumped into my veins or smoke coming out of my toes... or SOMETHING! But, I didn't even feel the needle going into my port. I didn't feel anything going into my body. Nothing. Nada. Zip. I guess that is good, but it was rather anti-climatic.

I still feel nothing. I may hit Target tonight. Why not??

I have to take steroids for the next three days which should keep me energetic and it might keep me up at night. And, I have to get a shot on Friday that may make me feel achy. Or, it may do nothing. No steroids on Sunday so that might be my first crash... or not. The most common answer to my questions is "everybody responds differently." I'm not good at not knowing.

The nurse confirmed that my hair IS going to fall out and I said I was expecting that in about 14 days. From the look and the "hmmm" she gave me I'm thinking I might not have that long. But, that is ok. I'm looking forward to it in a weird way. One of the biggest fears that I have right now is that I'm going to look better without hair! What a dilemma that will be when it starts to grow back!!

I've picked out two wigs this week. The first is named "Tory" and is a short bob, longer on the sides and short in the back. The other is "Annette" and looks like a longer version of my current hair... except better since it is shiny and thick!! Each morning I can decide who I'm going to be that day. You'd better watch out on "Tory" days... she's a bit sassy!

On Monday I went to a "Feel Good, Look Better" class on applying make-up during treatment. They taught me how to draw on eyebrows. This should be interesting.

Thank you all for the e-mails, cards, texts, flowers, books, inspirational stuff and most of all the support. I remember a teacher in grade school saying that she should have retired earlier so that she'd know how much everyone cared sooner. I'm kind of feeling the same way. I have a wonderful family, awesome friends, and co-workers who are more like friends. I don't think I knew how much care was out there a month ago. You are all the best and I love you.

No comments: