Friday, September 17, 2010

Poked & Prodded

I spent a good chunk of today at Roswell. I found myself wandering from place to place in a bit of a daze, but that probably had more to do with my lack of a decent lunch than anything else. I am surprised at the amount of things that got done in a few hours.

Here's my list:
  • Dropped my original sonogram and mammogram films off. Tyler will be happy that Mommy's pictures are out of the car so he can get out on the other side!!
  • Found the phlebotomy lab and had blood drawn. Unfortunately my left arm wasn't cooperating so they decided to try another vein on the inside of my upper right arm. Ouch!
  • Went to the nuclear medicine department and had an injection in a vein on the top of my right hand since both arms were already messed up. Ouch again! Add that to the flu shot in my upper left arm yesterday and I'm feeling like a pin cushion.
  • Popped down to the health management department to drop off some paperwork. I can't believe they have a whole department just for form management!
  • Then it was time for the ultrasound to place a tag in the tumor in case chemo does such a great job that it shrinks to nothing... here's hoping! This involved more pokes. It was kind of neat watching the needle go in on the screen. I got to see the tag on the mammogram picture. It looks like an open padlock. Cool stuff!
  • As soon as the tag was in, they did a biopsy on the lymph node that the surgeon found under my left arm. The doctor said it looked like a normal lymph node to him, but we'll find out for sure by Wednesday. Those cells can be quite small. But, I have a lot of hope that this thing is contained.
  • Back to nuclear medicine for a bone scan. They strapped me down, but overall it was fairly comfortable... enough to fall asleep, but just as I was about to, the platform or camera would move jolting me back awake! Darn, I could have used a quick cat nap.
Overall it was a productive afternoon.

I also got some great news this morning... the HER2 status of my cancer (I refuse to say MY status) is negative which means I won't need infusions for a year after chemo ends. Yay for me!

Finally, the first of the head coverings that I ordered came in. Here's Ryan sporting a chemo scarf! I hope I look half as good in it!


Things are certainly moving along. I am so glad I only have to go to Roswell one day next week. Woo hoo!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Congrats on the Her2 negative results. That's wonderful. And the scarf is great. You're gonna be a walking fashion statement.
Thinking of you!