Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Medical Update

Today was a big day... we finalized our decision regarding a doctor team and got to meet with the medical oncologist. We are going to Roswell Park Cancer Institute. With the exception of the parking ramp, it seems like a very coordinated facility!!

Unfortunately all of the information from my biopsy isn't in yet so they can't finalize the type of chemo that I'll receive. We do know that the cancer is ER+ which means it is sensitive to estrogen so I'll be on a medication for 5 years after my active treatment ends. But we're still waiting on my HER2 status. There is another receptor that is also +, but I don't remember what that is called. From what I'm told, the HER2 status doesn't really matter except that it impacts the type of chemo I'll receive and if I'm + there will be a year of another infusion that I'll have to take. The end result will be the same either way... I will be just fine!

I still have more tests this week and next, but I am scheduled to have a port put in on the 23rd. I can't say I'm looking forward to that as it makes me feel like a machine. Basically they're putting in an outlet so they can plug me in.

Chemo, in whatever form it takes, will start on the 29th. Things are really moving now which is what I like. The anticipation is the worst part so far and I'm hoping the rest won't be much worse. Any bets on how long it will take before I tell Dan to shave my head?

So far so good. Keep the positive thoughts coming... we will kick this!!

No comments: