Monday, February 28, 2011

Zap One

One down and only thirty-two more to go!! Woo Hoo!

I think today was as exciting as it is going to get... and that is pretty sad considering today was a non-event.

"My" machine, number 4, was down so we had to use number 1 which didn't have the fancy goggles. Of course that would have to happen on my first day. All in all it wasn't a big deal and didn't even delay me more than 5 minutes.

They did 5 zaps. Two on one side, two on the other and one in the middle so the machine only has to move 2 times. It took longer to line me up than it did to administer the radiation. I wish there was some sort of hand held device I could use to radiate myself so I didn't have to drive there, walk in and change. It is such a hassle for the amount of treatment time.

I think I've been leading a sheltered life with my treatment until now. For the most part I've been going to the breast center so it didn't occur to me that I am now in a place where men are being treated too!! Go figure! One of those men forgot to close the door to his changing room today. Surprise!! I'm really not sure how that happened. There are three separate changing rooms off of a small hallway. Inside each changing room is a stall with another door. Both doors close and both have locks. I guess I can understand not locking the doors, but wouldn't you close at least one? I just don't understand. Oh, and there are women receiving radiation for other types of cancer... yes, I've had some tunnel vision. And, I'm a bit jealous of the woman having her hand radiated because she doesn't have to change!!

April 13th if all goes well and this will all be a memory.

No comments: