Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Surgery

The last 24 hours has felt like a month. Dan and I left the house about this time yesterday hoping to be home for dinner after a simple procedure. It was not to be.

After a significant delay at the hospital, I received the first of the bad news... I would have to remove my wedding band. That ring had not left my finger since the minute Dan put it there on September 9, 2000. In reality this wasn't a big deal, but to me it was. It is a good thing that I don't need a ring to know that I have a supportive husband who has been by my side since before our wedding and will continue to be there for many years to come. You know, when they said for better or worse, I didn't anticipate being the "worse" in our relationship. That was supposed to be Dan. Turns out he's the "better."

I don't remember much once they started my IV. I do remember being wheeled down the hall and then waking up asking if my lymph nodes were removed. Of course they were... I could feel it, but I was still hoping they weren't. Things were hazy from there. I know I was upset about the nodes. Dan said I was a mess. I asked about it again this morning and was told that 4 sentinel nodes were removed and one came back positive for cancer so they removed the rest of the lymph nodes from under my arm. They won't know how many were removed until the pathology comes back. I guess the nodes come out in one clump. From here on out I need to remember not to have my blood pressure taken on that arm and not to have blood work on that side. I'll also have to wear a pressure sleeve on airplanes. All minor.

I had to stay overnight which means I didn't sleep much. I think my vitals were taken about every 1/2 hour by a number of different people. My lungs are clear, my blood pressure is good and I don't have a temperature, but sure, why don't you check again??

I have the dreaded drain and it is gross. Once the fluids start running clear I'll take a pic, but right now it would not be pretty. Dan was taught how to "milk" it so he can empty it and measure the liquid twice each day. Poor guy. He's not much into bodily fluids.

I'm hoping I may have lost a few pounds with all of this. I ate dinner Sunday night and didn't eat again until 8:30am this morning. That's 38 hours without food!

So we have one more step complete... finally it is out!

I have an appointment with the radiologist in mid-April so I'm thinking that means radiation doesn't start until then. That gives me a good break to be normal for a bit. Do you think I'll be up for a museum visit next week?? Or, the outlets while everyone is watching the superbowl? Oh, maybe we can go for some spaghetti parmesan followed by something chocolatey... Yummy! I've got to make up for the lack of food yesterday :)

No comments: