Thursday, January 29, 2009

Watch Your Mouth

Sometimes there are lessons that take a few failures to learn. I'm not sure if this one is ever going to sink in for me. Tyler is a sponge that hears and remembers absolutely everything and you never know when it is going to come back to haunt you... it could be months later!

A couple of weeks ago I was sitting on the couch and Tyler was playing with his dress up clothes in the foyer. All of a sudden the lego bin fell out of the closet and legos scattered all over the floor. I said "that did NOT just happen!" Tyler looked at me and with this "Oh my gosh" look on his face said "yes, yes it did mama" in his best older than my years voice. Well... fast forward two weeks to yesterday. I was getting out his dvd player for some much needed Thomas videos when something fell out of the cabinet. Tyler looks at me and says "that did NOT just happen!" Ha!

At least that was fairly minor. Back a few months ago before Ryan's arrival I was in the kitchen and Tyler came in to announce "mama, you ticked me!" What??? So I asked him what he said and he repeated it for me. I think I had told him he couldn't watch cartoons or denied him some chocolate... something he wasn't happy about. At the time I didn't know where he got that from. It took me a few days, but I eventually caught myself telling Dan that something ticked me off. Oops! I didn't realize that was one of my signature phrases. I've worked hard not to use it and I haven't heard it come out of Tyler's mouth recently so hopefully no major harm was done.

Here a picture of Ryan and Daddy hanging out in the chair last night.



And here is what it looks like when Tyler is coming at you for a "face hug." He loves to press his face into your face as hard as he can. Ouch! He got a kick out of this picture.


Sometimes Ryan is so interested in seeing everything around him that his head gets swinging back and forth so fast that I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself. Usually he laying on his back or sitting in his chair, but sometimes he does it while he'd being held and that head can be dangerous! The poor kid has worn the hair off the back of his head. I had to take a picture so I'll always remember what it looked like.


This was a rough morning so I'm giving myself and Ryan a break. It was my intention to drop Tyler off, run to CVS for something quick, stop in to Target for a gift, go to JC Penney to pick up Ryan's 3 month pictures, nurse him somewhere, grab a quick lunch, pick Tyler up and then go to the bounce house. I'm exhausted just thinking about it. 3 minutes before we had to leave to drop Tyler off at school I finally admitted to myself that it wasn't going to happen. I didn't have everything together that I needed to bring with us for our adventure and Ryan had a really dirty diaper. As I was cleaning the mess, Ryan decided to let me know how disatisfied he was by soaking me enough that I needed a full outfit change. Grrrr! Things snowballed from there. So here I am sitting on the couch resigned to letting some things go. I don't need the CVS trip today, I did my gift shopping on-line, we'll nurse and eat lunch at home and I may still try to get the pictures before picking Tyler up. In the meantime, guess what... it's laundry time, again!
How come nobody told me that the life of a mom involves interesting bathroom incidents (I'll spare the details), really gross laundry, pulling boogies out of noses, getting thrown up on, and lots of other lovely things that I never could have imagined? And it always happens when I've got a plan!

Lets hope we got the chaos out of our system so that tomorrow morning will be somewhat smooth.

No comments: