Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Watching Weight

After a couple of months of trying to clean up my diet on my own to address the ten pounds I gained while denying myself nothing during chemo, I joined my friends at a Weight Watchers meeting. I never would have done it on my own, but after only one week I am glad I did.

In the first meeting, last Wednesday, I had my first light bulb moment. The focus of the meeting was exercise which is something I don't do. They were talking about adding exercise to your every day activities and suggested parking away from a store to extend your walk. Hmmm, and all this time I thought Dan was protecting his car from door dings... turns out he was protecting my backside from expansion!!

Things only improved from there. Saturday night I was wanting a glass of wine... or two, but I was out of points for the day so I dragged Mom, Alisa, baby O and Heather with me on a long walk enduring the pterodactyl skeeters so I could earn some points back for my treat. We finished the walk, but by then I was too tired for the wine!! Was that the point?? The good news is that I earned my 5K award even with less than honorable intentions. Maybe if I practice, I can walk 5K and have a glass of wine afterwards... we all need goals in life!

Seriously though, it has been a good program over the last week. I discovered that a number of the "healthy choices" I made over the last couple of months turned out not to be such a great choice. Now I can evaluate my choices so if I'm going to choose junk, at least I know it is junk! And, I'm making some minor changes that haven't impacted taste that I can live with. The fancy WW calculator is helping me read those nutritional labels that have befuddled me for years! Throw in a little motivation to exercise and maybe I can make this work.

Drum roll please... I lost 3 pounds this week!! After months of slowly, but steadily creeping up the scale, this is huge.

This picture isn't really relevant, but it was taken tonight and I like it so here it is. Yes, they are wearing coordinating PJs and loving it. Big brothers and little brothers are awesome!!



If you don't hear about this topic again for a while it means things aren't going well... so lets not mention it, ok??

No comments: