Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Round Eight

CHEMO IS OVER!!



The day went well overall once I recovered from a major mistake. I was driving to the hospital this morning when I realized I had forgotten to take my pre-meds. How in the world could I have done that?? I panicked and called the hospital right away to see if I should bother going. Luckily they said they could give me the steroids through my IV so I could still have my chemo. Phew! But then of course my heart was racing. It is hard to calm yourself down after realizing you did something incredibly stupid. I would have been so upset if I had to reschedule this round.



This week I have been consumed by normal life which I guess is a good thing. My top priority has been to find a somewhat flattering swim cap for a day at an indoor water park. I found a basic one locally, but it is hideous on my head. So, I found a vintage style one that covers more of my head and has puffy flowers on it to give my head a little shape. We'll see how it looks when it arrives.



My other stress has been Tyler with his ears. He's been complaining that they hurt at dinner time, but other than that he's acting fine so I wasn't sure if he really hurt or if he just didn't want to eat dinner. Turns out that he actually does have an ear infection. Poor kid.



We've also been slowly taking down the Christmas decorations.



I guess my medical situation slipped to the back of my mind. Unfortunately I also forgot my numbing cream for my port, but it turns out that having my port accessed didn't hurt any more than having my blood drawn.



In the end, everything worked out just fine. But, I still can't believe I did that!



Chemo itself was uneventful. When I was all done my nurse announced to everyone that I had graduated from chemo, played that typical graduation music, stuck a mortarboard hat on my head and requested that I do the parade wave as I left. Talk about embarrassing!! I guess I've never been there on someones last day because I had never seen that before.



So, phase one is complete. Phase two is surgery, phase three is radiation and phase four is daily medication for at least 5 years. But, the hard part is behind me... I hope. Keep your fingers crossed that my surgeon still recommends a lumpectomy!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Congratulations!! A big milestone. :-)