Monday, December 28, 2009

Transportation Cookies

Christmas brings out the domestic side of Tyler. I must have done a good job of baking during the holiday season in previous years because Tyler was insistent that we do it this year. I have been seriously slacking.

I came home from work on Tuesday and Tyler came running into the kitchen begging to make fudge. I really wasn't into it and Ty could tell. "Please mama" he begged "if we can make fudge you can have all of my chocolate." How could I say no? We made fudge that night.

And, when we were done, he asked if we could make cut-out cookies. Ugh! I had already given myself permission to skip the cut-out cookies. They are so much work. But, here was this boy with such hope in his eyes. I told him we'd see if there was time on Christmas Eve.

Christmas Eve came and Tyler had not forgotten. The minute I walked in the house he was there asking if there was time. Not wanting to disappoint him, I pulled out my metal cookie cutters in wonderful Christmas shapes and right away Tyler said he didn't want those. He pointed to the cabinet where I keep the huge bin of plastic cookie cutters. I pulled them down and he started digging for the shapes he wanted. Here were his choices...


Yes, those are transportation themed cookie cutters. It seems that our "Christmas" cookies would be shaped like trains, airplanes, trucks, cars and fire trucks. This was his show so I let him have his choice.

Here he is cutting out his shapes. I wonder if I'll ever have cookies shaped like trees, stars, stockings and gingerbread people again...

Tyler didn't like my method of doing a whole bunch of one shape before moving on to the next...

He was very serious about his sprinkles.

The end result was a nice looking batch of vehicles. And one happy boy.

Yum!

I hope Santa enjoyed them.

No comments: