Sunday, December 20, 2009

Polar Express

All Aboard!


Last night, at 7pm, we boarded The Polar Express train with our friends (everything is better with friends). We've been looking forward to this night for months. I didn't realize how much Tyler was looking forward to it until he was talking to Grandma W Friday night. He was very animated in his description of all that was going to happen. I was worried he was going to be disappointed so I tried explaining that this was a real train. He wasn't getting it.
We arrived at the depot early. The boys passed the time watching "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" while the parents discussed our strategy. Luckily, the railroad had things under control so all went well. The depot itself was beautiful and huge. I wish I could go back in time to see it when it was first built. The heated wooden benches were gorgeous and there was marble everywhere.
Our friends really had it together and wore coordinating pajamas. Our family... not so much! I thought about it, but I enjoy my marriage so I abandoned that idea. They looked great!


Tyler was so excited. I can still feel his joy just looking at this picture. When we first got on the train Tyler announced that the train was going to slide on ice. Once again, fearing his disappointment, I told Tyler that not everything that happened in the movie was going to happen that night. When we arrived at the North Pole the train jerked and made an odd sound. Somebody in our car said we were stuck on ice. Tyler turned to me and said "we're on ice. I told you!"

Here is my proof that I was there. Ryan only took 2 really short naps during the day and the train left the depot at about his bedtime so we were concerned about how he was going to handle it. But, he did really well. This picture was taken at 8:30pm. He couldn't get enough of all that was going on around him. The female elves were especially interesting. He's quite the flirt.

Here are my boys having fun together.

The railroad did a really nice job. Before loading the train, the elves jumped up on the benches and lead the crowd in some Christmas carols. This elf is Jingle. There were countless elves running through the train, chatting with the kids, playing games, and singing songs.

The hobo even made an appearance.

And, of course, the conductor.


Finally we arrived at the North Pole. The boys were glued to the window as Santa presented the first gift of Christmas.


Then the big man himself came on the train for the ride back and sat with each child individually, giving them each a bell from his sleigh.

It was a magical experience complete with cookies and hot chocolate waiting for us in the depot when we got off the train.
Then it was back to the hotel... an adventure in itself! Everything is better in a hotel according to Tyler. Even Ryan enjoyed exploring the room. At 10:20pm it was finally time to turn out the lights and I was very much looking forward to some sleep. It was very dark in the room. After 30 seconds of peaceful silence, Dan said "he's standing up." I put on my glasses, looked toward Ryan's crib at the foot of my bed and then turned on the light. Sure enough, there he was standing up with a huge grin on his face. He should have been exhausted!! Luckily I was able to lay him back down, tuck him in and he didn't get back up. Crazy kid!
This morning I was awake with both boys very early. Tyler told me he was hungry so I said that I brought some cereal. "No" he said, "I want their cereal because it is tastier." "What?" I asked and he answered "it is hotelier." Ha! Yup, everything is better in a hotel, even cereal.
We did have a nice breakfast and headed to the pool. Both boys had a wonderful time in the water, but I think this smile says it best.

All good things must come to an end and this weekend was no exception. It was no surprise that Tyler didn't want to leave. We had to take some pictures of the room so that he could look at them later. Here is Tyler's memory picture.

We're home now and the boys are tucked into bed fast asleep. This ornament now hangs on our tree and will remind us every year of our ride on the Polar Express.

No comments: