Thursday, December 14, 2023

Pulmonology

I have another doctor on my team and I like him. He’s focused on my lungs…the biggest issue right now!! And, I lucked out again as I really like him. He seems to know his stuff and can explain it in a way that I can follow. Plus he didn’t disagree that maybe I can hike next summer? I may be a bit of a bully patient. But he said that walking is really good for the lungs so I was encouraged to do it.

Essentially, he told me the following:
1. I may have developed asthma and/or seasonal allergies so he’s going to test for that. He’d also like all the rug removed from the house. Dan is pleased. Ha ha! I’ve been dragging my feet on the rug for 20 years trying to wear it out so maybe this is the final straw? Oh, and I have to check to be sure my coats don’t have real down. I know my pillows and comforters are alternative down so all good there.
2. He’s taking over my steroid regimen. We’re going to stay at 40mg for 4 weeks and then drop to 20, but he wants to see me during week 2 of the drop to assess my reaction. If all is well, I’ll drop to 10mg for 4 weeks after the 4 weeks on 20 so I have another 12 weeks of steroids and moon face ahead of me. Another scan and pulmonary function test in 3 months will also help assess my status.
3. He said it can take 6 months for improvement after stopping the treatment that was negatively impacting my lungs. And I was on treatments that impacted my lungs for 10 months so it will take time. But, my good/bad cycle indicates this is an acute issue and not permanent so lots of hope there.
4. He’s putting me on a proactive inhaler to get steroids directly into my lungs. I had to text myself directions on how to use it. 

It was a lot to take in, but all good stuff.

The bad news this week is that I’ve lost the covering of hair that had been growing while on Enhertu. It makes me sad, but I’ll take it if treatment is working.

And, Tyler comes home tomorrow. We’ll have him through 12/27 and then again briefly 1/7-1/9. Busy boy!!

No comments: