Friday, October 2, 2009

Movie Night

It's 12:30am... Four hours past my usual bedtime and I can't sleep.

Tonight we hosted a play date at our house for the mommies group. This was a first for me. It started because I wanted an excuse for cake. I thought it would be nice to have the kids watch Curious George while the mommies had cake, coffee and wine. I had a vision in my head of children sitting nicely in the family room, eyes glued to the TV as that is usually what happens when we let Tyler watch a movie. Well, that was a fantasy!

Including us, there were 7 mommies and 12 kids. I kept focusing on the number of mommies that were coming during the planning of this event and never really considered the impact of the children. Whoa! All I can say is it is a good thing I had 3 glasses of wine. I've never seen anything like it. I believe every toy we own was out this evening... at the same time. They found the toys I had hidden in the armoire... they found the toys in the spare bedroom... they found the toys in Tyler's room. The whole house was a sea of plastic.

We had a great time. Truly, we did. I think I'm going to do it again. The house was alive tonight. There were happy children everywhere. Nobody had a breakdown. Nobody fought over anything. Nobody wanted to leave. And, we had cake. Lots of cake. Two kinds of cake. It was SO good.

Within minutes of everyone vacating, Dan came out of hiding. The look on his face was priceless. I told him to go back out to the garage until I had things under control. He said ok, but he didn't move. I told him again that he could leave. He said it was like a crash on the side of the road... you just can't help but look. Too funny!

Within 45 minutes I had everything back in its place, the floors vacuumed and the dishwasher running. All is well in the house once again. But not for long... that was fun!

No comments: