Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Marathon

I keep reminding myself that this is a marathon which is really hard for someone who likes to just get things done. I’m frustrated that we’re approaching the one year mark on this journey and I still haven’t had any ‘normal.’ That also means my family hasn’t had any normal either. So unfair. But, metastatic breast cancer is a different kind of beast.

I met with my oncologist today about getting off this merry-go-round. He was prepared and started by acknowledging the cycle, noting the only constant is steroids making improvement and then repeating the same hypoxemic problems once I’m weaned off. Phew, we’re focusing on the real issue!! Unfortunately he used a lot of big words so this is just my basic understanding of what we reviewed.

He had gone through my history and found that I have a mutation that is not commonly attributed to breast cancer. My previous oncologist has made me aware of this, but set it aside. He’s picking it back up and recommending we try an FDA approved treatment, although there were only a couple of breast cancer patients included in the clinical trial. He called it a braf+mek inhibitor. I am considered stable so he plans to watch carefully for 3 weeks. If my tumor markers start increasing, he has the next treatment plan in his back pocket. The good news is that both of these treatment are pills so no infusions in the chemo chair!

This recommendation will be presented to the tumor board for review and agreement. Plus he’s consulting with a pulmonologist. I love the extra review. We are not alone on this journey.

I only need one thing to work. Just one. Unfortunately we’re still throwing mud at the wall to see what sticks, but he doesn’t recommend a lung biopsy right now with the amount of oxygen that I’m on. What made me happy was his confirmation that we still have treatment options if neither of these work.

It’s a lot. So, for now I focus on Ryan’s 15th birthday and I allowed myself to put the Christmas music station on in the car. Simple pleasures.


No comments: