Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Change is Life

Dan and I met with the oncologist today and the recommendation has changed after consultation with the tumor board. While the treatments we discussed last week could be options for the future, they are recommending a more traditional breast cancer chemo called Trodelvy. There is more evidence of success with this medication so it makes sense to start there. 

I’m not sure why, but I’m a bit bummed. I think I wanted to try something different and I really wanted to avoid an infusion. Oh well. Suck it up buttercup.

It was explained that the tumor board doesn’t think my breathing issues are due to disease which is good news. We know that my first line of treatment impacted my lungs negatively, it sounds like the second line could have as well and we know this last treatment did. Pneumonitis has been with me for a while and it is time for it to vacate the building. This new chemo doesn’t have those side effects so the hope is that the steroids address my current issue and we won’t be doing anything to put me back there.

The other good news that came out of today is that my doctor believes my disease is under control. That is backed up by the fact that I haven’t had to take pain meds for disease in a really long time. Plus my tumor markers went down again. 

My new treatment will begin 11/22, the day before thanksgiving. Hopefully the side effects will take some time to kick in so I can enjoy my turkey. And maybe some shopping on Black Friday?

No comments: