Wednesday, July 12, 2023

A New Doctor

Recently, I received notification that my oncologist is moving to Florida. Just my luck!! But, yesterday I met my new oncologist and so far, I like him.

I’ve been in an incredible amount of pain and my old oncologist essentially told me there is nothing she can do except recommend surgery. No more radiation, no steroids, no different medicine. The new doctor gave me an injection of pain meds in the office and said he would consult with my surgeon about steroids for pain. He did agree that steroids wouldn’t fix the problem, but steroids could reduce the inflammation temporarily to get me through until surgery. So there’s hope!

He also explained two potential causes for the pain. First, it could be that treatment isn’t working and the cancer is growing. If that is the case, we’ll change treatment and he said there are lots of options. Second, treatment could be working and as the cancer cells die, there isn’t enough bone left to carry my weight. That makes sense especially since I started hurting after 2.5 rounds of chemo. So, I hope for the 2nd cause, but know there are options if it is the 1st.

Dan and the boys are in Ohio this week so I’m alone at home and getting through it. I’ve got friends stopping in to check on me and I’ve moved to the first floor. It does feel good to be somewhat independent.

Lots of hope!

No comments: