Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cancer-Free

Today was my first post-treatment follow-up appointment. Appointments actually.

First I met with the radiologist for a skin check. She said everything looks excellent... I've had the best recovery she's seen. Yay! Then she scared me about sun exposure in the radiated area and sent me on my way. I'll be shopping for 100 SPF this weekend, although with the amount of rain we've been getting I'm not sure if we're ever going to see the sun again!

Next I met with my oncologist. Dan was with me for this appointment as I have a tendency to hear what I want to hear. It was a fairly ordinary appointment and rather anti-climatic... so I asked what my status is. Am I cancer-free, or what?? According to Dan her response was "as far as I know." I heard "YES." She asked me if I've experienced any side effects from Tamoxifen, the medication I'll be taking for at least the next 59 months. I said none and went on to say that I was concerned about that because I've read that a lack of side effects could mean that the medication isn't metabolizing. Her response was "not really," meaning that's not really true... it is like people who say rain on your wedding day is good luck (although I happen to believe that one because it poured on our wedding day and we've had lots of luck... except for the whole cancer thing, but you know what I mean! Cancer is minor in the grand scheme of things.). Then I asked her if I should change how I'm eating, like not eating red meat. She said that not eating red meat is healthier, but she eats it every day. Hmmm.

We walked out and Dan said he felt like he just had a conversation with a weatherman. Maybe, sort of, not really... Ha!

Here is the really exciting part... I don't have to go back until OCTOBER for a mammogram and then not again until APRIL 2012 for an MRI. Can you believe it? Only 2 cancer-related doctor appointments in the next year!

I walked out with a smile. I am, and will continue to be CANCER FREE!!

No comments: