Monday, February 15, 2010

One Step Forward

... and THREE steps back!!

Ryan just can't catch a break. He still wasn't feeling well this morning so I took him to the doctor. He's really cranky, not eating or drinking well, and sleeping more than usual. I was concerned that his ears weren't better. The doctor said that he still has fluid behind his ears, but there is no redness so the antibiotic has cleared the infection and now the ears just need to drain. He said that the other symptoms are teething and a cold so basically I was told to wait it out. The hidden message was that I am an over-reacting mom. I left with a pit in my stomach knowing that something wasn't right.

Fast forward to 4:00pm when daycare called to tell me that Ryan spiked a fever. I called the doctor and left a message with the nurse saying I wanted a different antibiotic called in to the pharmacy. The doctor called back and said he'd do it, but didn't sound happy about it. I arrived at the pharmacy at 5:45pm and was told that they didn't have the prescription in stock. The pharmacist had already called the doctor back and then called around for me, but couldn't find another pharmacy with it in stock. It seems that the doctor called in a strength that is never prescribed!! Grr! The thought crossed my mind that it was done on purpose. Of course the doctors office was closed by then so I went home and called the after hours service. Meanwhile, Ryan continued to crank. I received a call back at 7:10pm and was told that the doctor was calling in the same script in a different strength. Dan went to get it and when he got home I read the label only to discover that it was amoxicillin... the same antibiotic that cause Ryan to get hives less than two weeks ago. Seriously?? Did that really just happen??

All that effort and I ended up giving Ryan the antibiotic that we already had. Now he's asleep and I've got my fingers crossed that he feels better in the morning. I can't stand to see him this way. It is a very good thing that the doctor is not in tonight. I think cooling off overnight is a very good thing. My baby is hurting and I am a mom on a mission.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry you're going through this (and Ryan too). Let's hope for drained ears and a happy boy in the morning. And an apologetic doctor!