Monday, March 12, 2012

Pinewood Derby

After much anticipation, Tyler competed in his first Pinewood Derby this past Thursday. Overall, I thought it was a great experience.

Dan and Ty spent a couple of hours together surfing the net together for just the right car design. Of course Ty picked a difficult shape, but Dan was up to the challenge. They spent the next morning at the kitchen table drawing the car and making templates after making a supply run. Then it was off to the garage for the rough cut. I'm told that Tyler got to turn the handle on the mill and did the vast majority of the sanding.

When I got my first real look at the car, it had the basic shape... and an engine.

Tyler chose the color scheme as well and went with his favorite color. Black.


I think they copped out at the end with the stickers. Next year I think they need to step it up with some pin stripes.


The car was properly balanced and ready to go. And then Dan saw the tracks for the first time. Hmmm... we think this pack needs a new track. They didn't exactly look like those on-line... hence, the design wasn't ideal. Oh well, it is all about time together and fun which certainly happened!


While Dan was not pleased with the car's performance, Tyler could not have been happier. I lost count of how many heats he was in, but I can tell you that he came in last in his first heat, he came in second a lot and came in first at least once. I think he made a good showing for his first race.


I'm proud of our boy and how he handled himself during the competition.



The planning for next year has already begun!

No comments: