Thursday, August 18, 2011

Lockport Cave & The Beach!!

I had the opportunity to continue my tradition of chaperoning one field trip during the summer today. I think I was looking forward to it more than Tyler as The Lockport Cave has been on my list of things to do for a long time and I got to spend my day with one of my three favorite people in the whole world.



We arrived and were treated to a tour of the double lock first. I believe the guide said it is the only double lock on the Erie Canal, allowing boats to rise and fall 50 feet! I'm not sure if you can see it in this picture, but there is also an upside down railroad bridge in the background. The guide said that the speculation of the locals is that the bridge was built upside down so that large boats couldn't use the canal... the railroad business was hit hard!



One of the locks.


Then it was on to the cave. I was very concerned when we stopped in front of these stairs that we'd have to climb all of them to get in the cave, but no...

We were going in through a pipe! No, I'm not kidding.



This is a man-made cave used to power three factories with the water that used to flow through it. The water right next to the path was crystal clear and very cold.


Tyler was a little freaked out and spent his time in the cave latched on to my arm. See?


He was very concerned about bats. He was in a cave and bats live in caves, that was all that mattered. Even through the guide explained that there is no natural light in the cave, therefore, nothing grows so nothing can survive in the cave as there is nothing to eat. Tyler was convinced there were bats... vampire bats! I think we need to stay away from the zoo!


He did let go of my arm (it wasn't just my hand) for the boat ride. I had to coax this smile out of him with his friend Dylan.


As soon as we were out of the cave, and onto those stairs I was concerned about in the beginning, Tyler announced that it was very cool. Hmm.


Then it was on to the beach!! We picked up a friend, Ryan and off we went to a friend's beach house for the afternoon.


I am not a big fan of rocky beaches, but Tyler absolutely loves them. We now have a new bucket of rocks. Fun stuff!

Ryan wasn't comfortable leaving the towel for a while.


But, then he found some level of comfort filling his bucket with water and then dumping it out. Over and over again.


All three kids built a sandcastle... sort of. Notice who is doing all the work?


I could not believe that the boys wouldn't get in the water. I spent a good amount of time out there and it was wonderful. I am seriously lacking water time this year.


Maybe a dislike of natural bodies of water is hereditary? What is all the water for Ry?



Despite not enjoying the water, all three kids had a fabulous time. Maybe there is time for one more beach run this year?




Back to the real world tomorrow.

No comments: