Sunday, November 8, 2009

Ryan's First Birthday

Yes, as much as I can't believe it, we celebrated Ryan's first birthday this weekend. Wasn't it considerate of both boys to be born on a Friday so that their first birthdays would be on a Saturday? It works out very well for me!!

This first year was so slow and super fast at the same time. At two and/or three and/or four in the morning I long for the day when he'll sleep through the night. But then I look at Tyler and wonder what happened. Tyler's first birthday seems so long ago. Friday night I didn't want to go to sleep because I knew Ryan's first year would be over when I woke up.

This weekend also marked the accomplishment of one year of nursing! I stopped pumping on October 16th and we're slowing reclaiming freezer space, but I've still got enough stocked up for a couple more weeks. Nursing continues during non-work time. I know I shouldn't distract him, but I love seeing him smile when I pretend to eat his fingers. Soon he'll discover that drinking from a cup is much easier and our special time will be over. Once again, sad and exciting at the same time. This next couple of months is going to be rough... he's starting his transition out of the infant room at school this week... sob...

Here's Ryan yesterday on his actual birthday enjoying the 60+ degree weather! He's thinning out, but still has his rubber band wrists and dimple knuckles! I love his baby face and belly laugh. He's got the best laugh I've ever heard.


And, here he is today playing with Tyler under the table. They have so much fun together.

We had a party today and Grandpa C got caught pushing two boys on the swings. He kept up quite well. Higher Grandpa!

Here is my attempt at a birthday picture. Ryan wasn't understanding the hats. I guess I can't blame him. It is an odd thing to do when you really think about it.
When Tyler discovered that there were three hats, he proclaimed that one would be for Uncle Tom! How did he know it would be a perfect fit? Tyler's very pleased with himself.

Uncle Tom was a big hit with both boys.


Ryan had his favorite meal today. Lasagna and chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting. Mmmm. Ok, so he's never had chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting before... but it is his favorite now!


Ryan was a good sport yesterday and spent part of his special day at Tyler's first soccer practice. Here's Tyler with a few of his friends. His team is called the "Purple Tornadoes!" How fitting.


Before soccer, the boys and I stopped for pumpkin donuts. Tyler was taking his time with his milk so I asked him if he was just about done. Tyler sighed and said "Mama, this milk takes me back." I asked him where it takes him back to and he told me that "it takes me back to night time when you ask me if I'm done with my milk." Where does he get this stuff?
His proper use of words inflection and tone shouldn't surprise me any more, but it still does. A few weeks ago I was out of town for a few days. As Dan was loading the boys into the truck for school Tyler said "Mommy isn't home, but her car is here. This is unusual."

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RYAN!!

No comments: