Friday, November 27, 2009

Ryan

Ryan is our explorer. He is in to everything. And, he's stealth. You really have to pay attention because he knows where he's not supposed to be and he's always looking for an opportunity to get there. He is as much explorer as Tyler is social. And, Tyler is very social!!

A couple of weeks ago I was having one of those days where everything goes wrong and causes more work. Even taking a 2 minute break turned into work. I was sitting at the kitchen table clipping coupons. All was quiet in the house. Tyler was outside helping Daddy and Ryan was playing in the living room... or so I thought. I must have heard something because I turned to look and found Ryan fully engulfed in potty play. Ahhhh! He had his whole head in there and was having a great time splashing around. He was soaked. A full sanitation was necessary. We now keep the door to the bathroom closed!

Unfortunately exploring can lead to injuries. In the last week Ryan has learned two valuable lessons. First, the oven door does open. Ryan managed to end up flat on his back still holding on to the oven handle. The oven wasn't on and didn't actually hit him, but it sure scared him. Second, cabinet locks don't prevent all injuries. You can still shut the cabinet on your finger and then the lock causes it to get stuck. Ouch!!

Ryan is very good with his hands. He can actually put a cap back on a water bottle and twist it on. His hand/eye coordination is certainly excellent. He knows just how far he's got to reach to get his hands on something. I may be looking for a Christmas tree this year with a really long trunk. I'm scared just thinking about all he could grab. Oh, and then there's the big bowl of water at the base of the tree. Ryan is going to have a field day!!

Wednesday, November 25th was our last day of nursing. I have been looking forward to that day for a long time, but in the end it was bittersweet. I already miss seeing his eyes roll back when he's tired. And, I miss him touching the tip of my nose with the pointer finger of his free hand or trying to put his fingers in my mouth and his laugh when I pretend to bite him. I told myself that I'd still get the closeness with bottles, but it just isn't true since he wants to hold his own bottle. Wasn't it just last week that he needed me for everything??

Ryan loves bath time. I usually end up almost as wet as he does. Here he is tonight getting ready for a cannon ball kick. Thanks Ry, I needed to change my shirt anyway. What a stinker!!



I have to share a couple of other funny items from the last two days. It seems that Dan has had a little trouble in the kitchen...

Yesterday was Thanksgiving and we enjoyed it with Grandma and Grandpa C. It was a wonderful meal and I was quite proud that I had made the gravy. I even said something about it during our meal. So, imagine my surprise when Dan admitted that he made a mistake when cleaning up the kitchen and dumped all the extra gravy down the drain. AAAAAHHHHHH!!! Just when I thought we didn't need the jar of gravy I had for back-up. The leftovers just won't be the same. We didn't have leftovers tonight... I just couldn't bring myself to open the jar... too many bad memories...

Then, tonight Dan tells me he had another oopsie in the kitchen. It seems that he threw his change in the flour. WHAT?? Now, we have two white canisters next to the stove. One is larger than the other. They've been there for 7 years. It was just the two of us when we first moved in (sigh) and I didn't cook a whole lot. So, the smaller canister became the home for spare change. When I started using flour regularly I put it in the larger canister. I've had flour in the large jar for about 5 years. I didn't want to put sugar in the jar where coins had been so the smaller canister still contains change. So I ask, how did the change end up in the flour??

I guess we're all human, even Dan, my almost perfect husband.

No comments: