Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Treatment, nosebleeds and popcorn balls!

Today was week 2 of my 3 week cycle of 2 weeks on and 1 week off. Infusion day is down to a science. The nurses know I work while in the chair so we have a sort of sign language so we stay on the same page to get me out as soon as possible. The biggest thing I need to do is give them my name and date of birth when they’re hanging the chemo bag. I like it. 

Unfortunately this chemo causes GI unrest that starts just before my 2nd infusion and gets worse on my off week. It is bad. Good thing I’m slow when I walk so those I care about are usually ahead of me. Yikes! Sorry for sharing too much. I really can’t complain if that is the worst of it.

Almost 2 weeks ago I went to see an ENT about my nose. I’ve been to the ER twice for nosebleeds that I couldn’t get under control and really don’t want that to happen again so I got off my rear end and made an appointment. Another doctor is the last thing I want, but it wasn’t getting better in its own. The doctor wants to take a gentle approach so he put me on a nasal emollient which is an oil I use 2-3 times each day. I’d say the bleeding is improved, but still there. And now I smell like an incense store which gives me a headache. I go to see him again this week and am hoping we can try an antibiotic or topical hormonal solution to move away from the oil. Oh, he also recommended taping a toothpick to my nasal cannula to keep the prongs away from my septum which is where the blood vessels run. That’s attractive especially when the oil drip on the toothpick and then I get a nosebleed. Needless to say, I have to change that contraption often.

Tonight I decided I wanted popcorn balls so I put all my tools to use from Tupperware measuring cups, big bowl and popcorn popper (not recommended), to my orange Le Creuset pot and finally my pampered chef spatulas. Thankfully I mentioned my plan to mom who gave me some tips…in addition to putting a couple tablespoons of water into the caramel, also add a half stick of butter. And it is easier to shape the popcorn with wet hands. Thanks mom!! I’m looking forward to my treat. I hope Dan and Ryan will eat some as I will eat them all if left to my own devices.



No comments: