Monday, September 10, 2012

Two Years

September 7, 2010 was the day I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  Most would say that is my cancerversary, but it just doesn't feel right to me.  I'm not sure exactly which day I should use to track the passage of time... I would pick April13, 2011 since that was my last day of radiation because I thought was the end of active treatment until my oncologist told me recently that she still considers me in active treatment since I still take daily medication... so does that mean I shouldn't start tracking my time until April 13, 2016, the day I hope to stop the daily pill?  The first day of school also resonates with me as the day it became real... Or, maybe I should pick September 1, the day the radiologist didn't want to cause "undue anxiety."

Who knows.  In the end it doesn't matter which day I use as long as all my days are happy and healthy.  And, that I am.  Stick it cancer!

Looking back I can remember being told that this was a life changing experience and that scared me... I didn't want my life to change.  Now I know that it isn't life changing as much as it is life altering.  Overall, life today is what it always was.  I still have a wonderful husband, two happy boys, a great job and so much more that I was afraid of losing.  But, I have gained relationships with extended family, found out what a strong networks of friends I have, appreciate hair and got a pool!

I won't say that there haven't been any negative consequences, because there have been and will continue to be, but I don't dwell there and they don't impact me day to day.

It all reminds me how lucky I am to be here today and for my many, many days to come.  Here is to many more cancerversaries... whatever day that might be!

No comments: